Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Catholic Church and WWJD

I was trying to decide what to lead off with on my first blog post. Should I go tame and talk about the weather or a recent movie or jump right in with some thing juicy? So here goes...

For many years I have been disappointed and saddened by the Church's response to sexual and physical abuse committed by members of the clergy.  I was hopeful that the Church would evolve and take responsibility for the decisions that it made. However, with the recent comments made by the Vatican, I can see this is not about to happen.

The Vatican has now gone on the offensive. Vatican officials attack reports of its role in this abomination instead of taking responsibility and admitting its involvement. A common saying is that the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. It's time for the Church to admit that it has a problem, seek forgiveness and fix the situation.

I was trying to think of ways that I as a lay person could help the Church evolve. One thing popped to mind . . . WWJD. Remember those bracelets that were popular several years ago? People wore them to prompt themselves to consider what Jesus would do when they made a decision. My suggestion is that we take a collection and buy enough WWJD bracelets for every Vatican official. Maybe then they could remember one of the Church's found principles - acknowledging sin and asking for forgiveness.

So maybe a bit heavy for a first post. Stay tuned for other thoughts from a Curly-Haired Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment