Thursday, April 15, 2010

What Should I Be When I Grow Up

I've now been temporarily retired for a little over a month. During this time I've had some time to consider what I want to be when I grow up.  When I was younger all I wanted to be was an attorney. I wanted to go to law school from the time I was 12 years old. Instead of law school, I went to business school and got an MBA first. I did finally go to law school when I was in my 30's. So now I'm 40 and need to decide what to be when I grow up.

I have worked for big and medium companies, a non-profit organization, a law firm and the government. I have worked in customer service, marketing, law and auditing. So now what? My ultimate goal is to find a job I love to do at a place that I love to work. Is it possible to have a great job at a great company? Or is that rare combination a myth like the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy? I have had jobs I've really liked at places I didn't and worked for companies I liked but had a job I really didn't care for.

Is it a quixotic pursuit to try to find both? I don't know but I think the time is right to try. So, my quest is now to find the right job at the right place. I'll worry less about the title and the salary and more about the  quality of the work and the work environment. Look out world I'm on a quest! The right fit is out there and I will find it.

3 comments:

  1. How about a job with HGTV? Maybe on a show like House Hunters? I wonder if those hosts really need to be realtors. :-) I am still keeping my fingers crossed for you to get a job as an attorney at a winery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The job you have now seems like the best one so far and quite frankly, is my fantasy job. Just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could find some way for my current "job" to pay me it would be perfect. However, a lawyer for a winery would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete